Welcome to Dirty Filthy Book Slut!
Called so because sometimes, that's what I feel like.
My name is Alex James. No, it's not my real name. I am an owned submissive woman in my early thirties, living in Sydney, Australia. I read constantly, about many, many different topics that interest me. I love reading porn, and also non-fiction about BDSM, learning about all the different kinks and fetishes that make up this crazy/amazing world of ours.
I read so much, spending far too much every week on books (mostly on Kindle, but that's to save cash) so I thought I'd at least make good use of it all and write some of it down. What I ultimately want to do is help people. I want to answer questions to which, for a serial book-purchaser such as myself, the answers can sometimes be frustratingly elusive: Which books are worth purchasing, and why? Which books are a waste of your time and money? Which books and authors should you consider if your interests are unusual, and specific? This is where I truly want to guide people, and to help them make the best decisions, so that their shelves aren't peppered with trash and time-wasters - like mine are!
I review only from my own perspective, and so many a time readers will not agree with my reviews. Harsh as it sounds, that's not really my problem. I'm only one person, and can only review/score books as one person :)
If you'd like to suggest a book to me, check if I'm going to read it, or if you have any questions for me at all, please don't hesitate to comment on any page! I'll always reply!
I do have a tendency to read stuff more than once, and may edit my posts after another reading. In these cases I will always link to the original review, and may even update my score. Where possible I'll also list what format the book is in that I've read, and where I got it from.
I have included Buy This Book If ... points, as I feel this was always my true purpose in creating this blog. See this section if you are considering purchasing the book, and wondering if it's really for you.
Nowadays my main reviews always follow a set formula - in business "weasel-speak", they'd be called Key Performance Indicators.
- How kinky? How much actual kink is in it? Or is it just vanilla-porn-with-handcuffs?
- How sexy? Does it get me in the mood? Or is it clumsy and a turn-off?
- How accessible? By this, I specifically mean, is it good for novices? Or is it geared towards a more advanced audience, with knowledge prerequisites? (See also: Good for novices tag)
- How informative (for non-fiction) or inspiring (for fiction)? Inspiring in this sense meaning: scene-fodder, or just useful for jerk-off fantasies!
- How engaging? Could I put it down? Did I want to pick it back up?
- How well executed? How literate does the author appear to be, in general? Do they use words, sentences, paragraphs well? How is the grammar, the spelling, the structure? You would be surprised how many published authors cannot write well!
- Negatives? Bitch, bitch, bitch, whine, whine, bitch. Feel free to skip if you're not feeling it :)
- Overall reaction - Rated on a system of 1 to 5 cocks, because of course!
I also use tags, so feel free to click on one from the list on the right, and filter according to your preferences.
- 5 cocks - because I want to draw extra attention to the books that, I feel, excel in their niche
- a note from DFBS - notes from your host, Alex Lowe
- bdsm - (see below)
- explicit - foulmouthed and swear-heavy. My favourite!
- good for novices
- key kit - this is a list of books I feel should be on everyone's shelf, (well, those who are interested in their subject matte, anyway)
- kindle - because it's cheaper than the real thing, and not all books are available this way
- other kink - (see below)
- physical side - deals with scenes, toys, games and actions more than, or as well as, the intellectual power-play
- psychological side - covers the topics involved in power exchange, mindfucks and the relationship side of the lifestyle, more than or as well as the fun play stuff
- writing - my own humble little fiction series (more to come, I promise - pun intended)
A Note: In regards to the differences between BDSM and "other kink", as I've termed it, is this: BDSM, in the usual 21st century colloquial understanding, is Bondage & Discipline, Domination & Submission, Sadism & Masochism. Most of us are pretty okay with that term, as it covers a lot of ground. But when I feel that a book reaches outside those ideas, towards things like slavery, animal play, age-play and ADL, etc (and so much more in this world), I have tagged it "other kink". I don't want to offend anyone with my usages. They are very likely not going to match up with many other peoples' usage. But I have tried to point the way for those who feel their lifestyle goes beyond the all-too-common umbrella of BDSM, and give a little leeway for books that cover so much more ground than that term implies. I apologise in advance if you feel my attempt at diplomacy is insufficient or ineffective :)
So, that's me, the original Dirty Filthy Book Slut. Enjoy my blog, and more importantly, enjoy reading!